Cruise 1323
Classic Hits

Now Playing:

Loading...
Listen on

Convicted Pedophile Paul Thomas To Be Released In Adelaide

Convicted pedophile Paul Thomas could soon be released from prison after three South Australian Supreme Court justices overturned an earlier decision to detain him.

Attorney-General Vickie Chapman on Tuesday says although the final decision can't be changed, the state government hopes for strict terms and conditions on his release.

These terms and conditions will be considered in the Supreme Court on Wednesday.

Chapman told ABC Radio the court had reversed an earlier decision that Thomas should be granted continuing detention, instead ruling that the level of risk to the community was “acceptable” and he “should be given the opportunity to be out of custody”.

She said his living conditions would need to be strictly managed now that the decision had been made to release him.

The decision comes despite two psychiatrists giving evidence that they believed Thomas was in the “high risk” category for re-offending.

Thomas was first convicted of indecently assaulting his next-door neighbour, a 16-year-old boy with an intellectual disability, in 1995, and was jailed for 18 months.

In 2004, he abducted three boys under the age of 10 from a northern suburbs park and drove them to Maslin Beach, where he made them take off their clothes. He was jailed for three years after pleading guilty to nine charges.

In 2008, he was caught with child pornography and was given a suspended sentence, then went back to prison in 2016 when he was caught with "child exploitation material".

-with AAP

Share this: