Seven Network’s primary national current affairs show, Sunday Night, has been axed.
Daily Mail reports that Seven’s Head of News and Current Affairs, Craig McPherson, broke the news to staff on Tuesday morning.
McPherson said it was “very tough decision in a challenging TV landscape”.
“After 11 years at the forefront of our Public Affairs offering, it is with much sadness I announce the closing down of the day-to-day operations of Sunday Night: True Stories,” he said.
He said the show would continue to run until the end of the year with a “small production team” continuing to produce remaining episodes.
The show, hosted by former Sunrise host Melissa Doyle, has been on our screens since 2009 and in 2018 was named ‘Australia’s No.1 public affairs program’.
Website ‘TV Tonight’ has reported that the cancellation is part of major cost cuttings implemented by Channel 7 CEO James Warburton, who took over the role several months ago.
Last week, Sunday Night’s ratings were well below its major Channel Nine competitor, 60 Minutes.