The South Australia opposition has called on the state government to reveal more details behind the state’s first coronavirus case in almost three weeks.
A woman in her 50s tested positive for the virus after arriving in Adelaide from Victoria by plane, becoming SA’s 440th confirmed infection.
She had recently travelled to Australia from overseas and was given a special exemption to fly to SA despite only spending a week in quarantine.
Opposition health spokesman Chris Picton said the case raised many questions, including whether or not a test should have been conducted before she was allowed to travel to Adelaide and how many people she had contact with.
He said the government should also reveal how many exemptions had been granted.
“It’s vital South Australians have confidence in our border restrictions, and transparency is key,” Mr Picton said.
“The public has a right to know the answers to simple questions about this special exemption which has led to a positive COVID-19 case.”
Revealing details of the case on Tuesday, Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the woman had been given an exemption to travel to SA as part of compassionate arrangements in place.
The woman has now been placed in isolation in Adelaide and a number of people she came into contact with are being tracked down, including those on the same flight.
So far she is experiencing only mild symptoms of COVID-19.
Prof Spurrier said the new case did not present a serious risk to the wider SA community.
“This is a case that has come to us from overseas via another state and we’ve dealt with it,” she said.
“We still do not have any community spread in South Australia.”
Prof Spurrier said there would be no change to the lifting of restrictions in SA, but said they could only be eased if people remained vigilant in efforts to contain the virus such as social distancing and good hygiene.