Travellers to South Australia from greater Brisbane will be required to quarantine for 14 days in response to that city’s three-day lockdown over the latest coronavirus scare.

The restrictions will take effect from Saturday while anyone who has arrived since January 2 will be required to be tested, but will not need to isolate.

The measures come in response to the shutdown ordered by the Queensland government after a cleaner at a quarantine hotel was diagnosed with the more contagious UK variant of COVID-19.

Premier Steven Marshall said SA would not hesitate to impose tighter restrictions on Queensland if necessary while Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier said the latest developments were worrying.

She urged all South Australia to reconsider any travel plans to Queensland.

“We’ll keep watching the situation. We are going to use that hotspot model, at least for the time being,” Professor Spurrier said.

“But if anything changes, it may be that anybody returning from anywhere in Queensland has to quarantine here.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“And as things get worse it may be that we have to reduce the number of people coming into our state.”

Professor Spurrier also confirmed that genomic testing had now revealed four returned travellers to SA had been found to have the UK strain of the virus.

Two of those have since been cleared of the disease and released from hotel quarantine while two were still in isolation, including one who may be an old infection.

That has prompted SA to introduce daily saliva testing from Friday for all workers in the hotel quarantine system on top of the weekly, and more accurate, throat and nasal swabs.

AAP