South Aussie families separated by domestic and international border restrictions could by reunited this Christmas, with a decision expected to be made within weeks.
People stranded overseas and in Victoria could be eligible to come home, with only an outbreak of coronavirus cases in Melbourne’s northern suburbs potentially holding back a decision.
In spite of the outbreak, there are hopes that SA’s hard border with Victoria could be lifted within weeks.
The SA government will also attempt to get as many Aussies stranded abroad home by Christmas as possible.
The capacity of the state’s quarantine hotels will be increased to accommodate for more repatriated Australians this side of the Christmas break.
Victoria has seen a decline in its trend of new daily cases, with five new cases recorded yesterday, four of which were linked to the northern suburbs outbreak.
The city’s rolling 14-day average of new daily cases now sits at 6.4.
Premier Steven Marshall said that South Australia could move to a border arrangement similar to what had been in place with NSW.
“I think we might be in line to move back to the arrangement we had with New South Wales until recently whereby people would do 14 days of quarantine, but that could be done in a private home,” the Premier said on Thursday.
Currently, there are only some exempted people who are permitted to enter South Australia from Victoria.