A plan to bring 300 international students back to South Australia has been put on hold as it awaits sign-off by the Prime Minister.
The trial plan had been mooted to kick off this month, however, it will now have to wait as the Prime Minister holds talks with the states about the country’s caps on international arrivals.
Leaders are thought to be set to review the current cap of 4,000 international arrivals per week this Friday.
It is understood that the PM will wait until the international arrivals cap is discussed before signing off on SA’s international student trial program.
The state government has said that it is ready to go with the pilot program, which would see hundreds of students return to study in SA after quarantining for two weeks.
Federal Education Minister Dan Tehan has flagged his concerns that international students could take spots under the current international arrivals cap from Aussies looking to repatriate home.
Minister Tehan told The Advertiser that he expected state premiers to “ensure that no international students take the place of Australians returning from overseas”.