Woodville Pizza Bar has been cast back into the spotlight as health authorities look to have pinpointed where the Woodville High School student acquired COVID-19.
Dr Nicola Spurrier confirmed that South Australia has recorded two new cases of the virus in the state over the past 24 hours, including the Woodville High School student whose positive test results were reported on Wednesday afternoon.
SA Health now believes that the teenage girl most likely acquired the virus at Woodville Pizza Bar when she collected a pizza from the premises on November 14.
Professor Spurrier has used the situation to remind those in the Woodville Road area to reacquaint themselves with the list of high-risk locations, including the pizza bar, and get tested if they visited anywhere on the list.
The other case was a man in his 40s who is linked to a known case in the Parafield cluster. The man had already been in quarantine with his family, Professor Spurrier noting that health authorities are confident that the case does not “have a risk of that going forward.”
News of a new case being acquired from the same business that sent the state into lockdown last week has raised questions about why the government is taking a different approach this time.
Professor Spurrier told reporters that part of the reason for the initial lockdown was to allow the state’s contact tracing team to be “ramped up” in preparation for the increased workload. She said that the team was now able to handle the task, with more contact tracers being added, including some from interstate.