A Queensland man has warned thousands about the dangers of not cleaning kettles regularly – and offered a simple method for sparkling results.

Sadly, I don’t think I’ve ever cleaned the inside of my kettle… So this was a well mannered wake up call!

Nat, from Queensland, grows twenty-year-old lemon and orange trees in his backyard and regularly uses fruit from them to deep clean his kettle.

How gorgeous does the lemon tree look?


‘This is a real money saving hack,’ he said. ‘I use lemons to clean my kettle when it gets black inside.’

Nat revealed that keeping a kettle clean will prolong its shelf life and help users avoid ingesting solid minerals.


Nat cuts up two lemons, fills the kettle with water, and boils it. He then waits for it to still and turns it on again before rinsing it out.


‘The black bits on the inside of the kettle is from the water due to the hardness of it,’ he said.

Nat added, ‘Hardness in drinking water is mainly the result of the presence of large amounts of two minerals – calcium and magnesium.’



Hard water can also cause scale to form on hot water pipes and fittings, which is a hard, chalky deposit, consisting mainly of calcium carbonate.

‘I’ve done this for years and don’t have to worry too much about making sure it’s totally rinsed – as lemon tea tastes better than vinegar or chemicals!’



These results are pretty stunning, and I’ve already got my bag of lemons ready for when I get home!

Credit: Markdown Addicts Australia / Daily Mail AU